<" ">
Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
i know He is able: Jesus Christ, How Old is HE

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Jesus Christ, How Old is HE

Have you ever wondered just how old Jesus Christ is? Did he have his origin at his birth here on earth a little over 2000 years ago? Let us take a look at what the Bible says for the answer to this question.

First let us look in the New Testament:

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not. He came unto his own, and his own received him not. John 1:1-11

And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. John 1:14

And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven. John 3:13

He that cometh from above is above all: he that is of the earth is earthly, and speaketh of the earth: he that cometh from heaven is above all. John 3:31

For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me. John 6:38

This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die. I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world. John 6:50-51

And he said unto them, Ye are from beneath; I am from above: ye are of this world; I am not of this world. John 8:23

Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. John 8:58

And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind. John 9:39

She saith unto him, Yea, Lord: I believe that thou art the Christ, the Son of God, which should come into the world. John 11:27

The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man? John 12:34

I came forth from the Father, and am come into the world: again, I leave the world, and go to the Father. John 16:28

Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. John 18:37

Which also our fathers that came after brought in with Jesus into the possession of the Gentiles, whom God drave out before the face of our fathers, unto the days of David; Acts 7:45

And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ: Ephes. 3:9

Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him: And he is before all things, and by him all things consist. And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence. Col. 1:15-18

This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. 1 Tim. 1:15

For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. Hebrews 2:16

Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. Hebrews 7:3

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8

I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one. 1 John 2:14

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty. Rev. 1:8

And when those beasts give glory and honour and thanks to him that sat on the throne, who liveth for ever and ever, The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, Rev. 4:9-10

As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. John 17:2-3

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day. John 6:40

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. John 6:47

And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 1 John 5:11

In the last seven notice that Jesus Christ gives us eternal life. How could he give what he himself doesn’t possess? Christ has eternal life---that is everlasting life---a life that has no end. How he can be the only begotten Son which implies that He had a beginning at some point is a mystery that I cannot answer but his preexistence before his birth here on earth is clearly testified to here.

We may ask then, "Is there any evidence in the Old Testament that would confirm that idea?" The answer is, "Yes, there is."

Let us see what is written in the Old Testament:

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. Genesis 1:26

And the Lord said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do. Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another's speech. Genesis 11:6-7

And he said, Let me go, for the day breaketh. And he said, I will not let thee go, except thou bless me. And he said unto him, What is thy name? And he said, Jacob. And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved. Genesis 32:26-30

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you. Exodus 3:14

He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God. Daniel 3:25

Kiss the Son, lest he be angry, and ye perish from the way, when his wrath is kindled but a little. Blessed are all they that put their trust in him. Psalm 2:12

The God of my rock; in him will I trust: he is my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my high tower, and my refuge, my saviour; thou savest me from violence. 2 Samuel 22:3

I, even I, am the Lord; and beside me there is no saviour. Isaiah 43:11

Tell ye, and bring them near; yea, let them take counsel together: who hath declared this from ancient time? who hath told it from that time? have not I the Lord? and there is no God else beside me; a just God and a Saviour; there is none beside me. Isaiah 45:21

Yet I am the Lord thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me. Hosea 13:4

Read the account of Abraham in Genesis 18. The chapter begins by saying that the Lord appeared unto him. He looked and saw three men come. Repeatedly it is mentioned in this story that "the Lord" was talking with Abraham in this story. These three men (as Abraham supposed them to be) were on their way to Sodom (see verses 16 and 20) and the Lord (one of the three) conversed with Abraham about the impending destruction of that city. The Lord promised that if he found as few as 10 righteous in the city he would not destroy it. (see verse32-33). At the beginning of the next chapter we see that the two angels that were with the Lord at the beginning of chapter 18 have reached Sodom and were offered lodging with Lot. In context here we can see that one of the three men that Abraham met and took in was the Lord.

Christ is the Lord, both of the Old Testament and of the New Testament.
You are invited to visit the Church that I attend.

_____ONLINE BIBLE RESOURCES_____

Pastor Marvin Hunt's BibleHistory.com Link
Compare Churches - Belief Central Link

_____ONLINE BIBLE RESOURCES_____

__________

The Bible - The online stop for links, resources, devotions, and of course, Bibles!
Three Angels Global Networking (TAGNET) Online Bible - An HTML Bible that is user friendly.
The Bible Gateway - a free service for reading and researching scripture online.
Bible History Online - Resources that is based around ancient history and the Bible.
Bible Study Tools - is the largest resource of in-depth study and exploration of God's Word.
The Unbound Bible - is a collection of searchable Bibles consisting of 10 English versions

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)

Books of Moses Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers Deuteronomy Other early books Joshua Judges Ruth 1&2 Samuel 1&2 Kings 1&2 Chronicles Ezra Nehemiah Esther Job Poetic books Psalms Proverbs Ecclesiastes Song of Solomon Prophets Isaiah Jeremiah Lamentations Ezekiel Daniel Hosea Joel Amos Obadiah Jonah Micah Nahum Habakkuk Zephaniah Haggai Zechariah Malachi Gospels and Acts Matthew Mark Luke John Acts Epistles Romans 1 Corinthians 2 Corinthians Galatians Ephesians Philippians Colossians 1&2 Thessalonians 1&2 Timothy Titus & Philemon Hebrews James 1&2 Peter 1,2,3 John Jude Revelation, etc. Revelation Whole Bible: Pattern/summary chart; Finding verses Maps Go Topic index A page that points you to where selected topics are discussed. Go. Alphabetic index - Acts Amos 1&2 Chronicles Colossians 1 Corinthians 2 Corinthians Daniel Deuteronomy Ecclesiastes Ephesians Esther Exodus Ezekiel Ezra Galatians Genesis Habakkuk Haggai Hebrews Hosea Isaiah James Jeremiah Job Joel John 1,2,3 John Jonah Joshua Jude Judges 1&2 Kings Lamentations Leviticus Luke Malachi Mark Matthew Micah Nahum Nehemiah Numbers Obadiah 1&2 Peter Philemon Philippians Proverbs Psalms Revelation Romans Ruth 1&2 Samuel Song of Solomon 1&2 Thessalonians 1&2 Timothy Titus Zechariah Zephaniah
  • The Bible in MP3 format - FREE!
    Enjoy FREE MP3 downloads of the Bible!