<" ">
Lookup a word or passage in the Bible



BibleGateway.com
i know He is able: The Rock of the Church

Saturday, February 25, 2006

The Rock of the Church

One of the more troublesome texts for some Christians, especially Protestants is the verse found in Matthew 16:18 in which Christ says:

And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Matthew 16:18

If we were to take this verse by itself it would appear that Christ was indeed conferring a privilege upon Peter that was unique, and that Peter was to become the Head of the church. But if we compare verses of the whole Bible and view Gods entire Word we can see the true meaning of the verse.

First, let’s see who the Bible says is the Rock in the Old Testament. Here are a few verses to consider:

Because I will publish the name of the Lord: ascribe ye greatness unto our God. He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he. Deut. 32:3-4

There is none holy as the Lord: for there is none beside thee: neither is there any rock like our God. 1 Samuel 2:2

And he said, The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; 2 Samuel 22:2

For who is God, save the Lord? and who is a rock, save our God? 2 Samuel 22:32

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. Psalm 18:2

For who is God save the Lord? or who is a rock save our God? Psalm 18:31

To shew that the Lord is upright: he is my rock, and there is no unrighteousness in him. Psalm 92:15

You can see clearly that our Lord is our Rock in these texts, can’t you?

The Lord says:

I am the Lord: that is my name: and my glory will I not give to another, neither my praise to graven images. Isaiah 42:8

For mine own sake, even for mine own sake, will I do it: for how should my name be polluted? and I will not give my glory unto another. Isaiah 48:11

For I am the Lord, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. Malachi 3:6

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. Hebrews 13:8

Would God give his glory to a faulty man like Peter? What was Peters condition when Christ said these words? To find out let’s look at what happened between Peter and Christ after that moment.

If we read beyond in the book of Matthew here is what we find:
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Matthew 16:23

And if we read Luke where he is writing about the period just before the crucifixion we find:

And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren. Luke 22:31-32

What a pitiful state we find Peter in. He was not even converted at that late date in Christ’s’ ministry. And yet some would have you believe that Christ had made him the head of His church.

If we look at the original words that Christ spoke we find that Peter like so many other names in those days meant something. The Strong’s Concordance says that his name means: "A piece of rock" and that the word rock meant, "A mass of rock". So what he was doing is making a play on words. In essence he was saying something like this, "You are a pebble but I will build my church on this rock."

So what did Christ mean when he spoke those words? Who was He referring to? Who else but the Lord of our Salvation, Himself. It is Christ on whom our faith is built. Not a fellow mortal.
You are invited to visit the Church that I attend.

_____ONLINE BIBLE RESOURCES_____

Pastor Marvin Hunt's BibleHistory.com Link
Compare Churches - Belief Central Link

_____ONLINE BIBLE RESOURCES_____

__________

The Bible - The online stop for links, resources, devotions, and of course, Bibles!
Three Angels Global Networking (TAGNET) Online Bible - An HTML Bible that is user friendly.
The Bible Gateway - a free service for reading and researching scripture online.
Bible History Online - Resources that is based around ancient history and the Bible.
Bible Study Tools - is the largest resource of in-depth study and exploration of God's Word.
The Unbound Bible - is a collection of searchable Bibles consisting of 10 English versions

Phrase Search / Concordance
Words/Phrase To Search For
(e.g. Jesus faith love, or God of my salvation, or believ* ever*)

Books of Moses Genesis Exodus Leviticus Numbers Deuteronomy Other early books Joshua Judges Ruth 1&2 Samuel 1&2 Kings 1&2 Chronicles Ezra Nehemiah Esther Job Poetic books Psalms Proverbs Ecclesiastes Song of Solomon Prophets Isaiah Jeremiah Lamentations Ezekiel Daniel Hosea Joel Amos Obadiah Jonah Micah Nahum Habakkuk Zephaniah Haggai Zechariah Malachi Gospels and Acts Matthew Mark Luke John Acts Epistles Romans 1 Corinthians 2 Corinthians Galatians Ephesians Philippians Colossians 1&2 Thessalonians 1&2 Timothy Titus & Philemon Hebrews James 1&2 Peter 1,2,3 John Jude Revelation, etc. Revelation Whole Bible: Pattern/summary chart; Finding verses Maps Go Topic index A page that points you to where selected topics are discussed. Go. Alphabetic index - Acts Amos 1&2 Chronicles Colossians 1 Corinthians 2 Corinthians Daniel Deuteronomy Ecclesiastes Ephesians Esther Exodus Ezekiel Ezra Galatians Genesis Habakkuk Haggai Hebrews Hosea Isaiah James Jeremiah Job Joel John 1,2,3 John Jonah Joshua Jude Judges 1&2 Kings Lamentations Leviticus Luke Malachi Mark Matthew Micah Nahum Nehemiah Numbers Obadiah 1&2 Peter Philemon Philippians Proverbs Psalms Revelation Romans Ruth 1&2 Samuel Song of Solomon 1&2 Thessalonians 1&2 Timothy Titus Zechariah Zephaniah
  • The Bible in MP3 format - FREE!
    Enjoy FREE MP3 downloads of the Bible!